“Language and communication are at the heart of the human experience.”
This project will emphasize the five goals (the 5 Cs) that focus language learning on:
Communication: The ability to convey and receive messages based on the three modes of communication; interpersonal, or two-way interaction with someone else; interpretive, the ability to understand and interpret a one-way aural or written text; and presentational, the ability to present information in either a written or oral format.
Cultures: As the teaching of language and culture are inextricably intertwined, students learn to understand the culture of the people who speak the target language through learning about the products and practices of the culture and how those relate to the perspectives of the people of that culture.
Connections: Students are able to access knowledge in other disciplines through the target language and to reinforce concepts already learned in these disciplines in the language classroom.
Comparisons: As students learn a new language and culture, they develop insight into their own language and culture, thus providing them with a deeper understanding of how language works and how cultures reflect the perspectives, practices, and products of the people who speak that language.
Communities: Language learning becomes even more purposeful for students when they see the application beyond the classroom. With today’s communication technologies, language classrooms can bring the world to the students, as teachers provide opportunities for students to use the language beyond the confines of their classroom walls.
Students will also develop the 21st century skills such as:
- Problem solving-the ability to solve complex problems in real time
- Creativity-a vital outlet that inspires students to see who they are and what they can do, and to realize what they can accomplish
- Analytic thinking-the ability to think analytically, which includes proficiency with comparing, contrasting, evaluating, synthesizing, and applying without instruction or supervision
- Collaboration-the ability to collaborate seamlessly in both physical and virtual spaces, with real and virtual partners globally
- Communication-a broad term that incorporates multi-faceted levels of interaction and sharing information
- Ethics, action, and accountability-the most important characteristics of the global citizen
© 2017-2018 BARBARA ANNA ZIELONKA ALL RIGHTS RESERVED